Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fashion

One of the best Christmas gifts I received this year was from my partner in crime, the co-author of this blog. Over a Christmas brunch, I opened up an unique, handmade bag to find a copy of a book I had been lusting after since it was published. Written by the editor of In Style magazine, Hal Rubenstein, 100 Unforgettable Dresses is ridiculously glamorous and informative.


I don't know how he managed to edit down all possible choices to only a hundred, but yay for him. Some of the dresses were not chosen for their beauty but for their impact on popular culture, such as the Bob Mackie creation for the Carol Burnett Show in the 70's that made fun of a certain famous green velvet curtain dress from Gone with the Wind.


My favorites, however, are those dresses that when I first saw them on screen, I instantly fell in love. Looking at these dresses made me second guess the Hello Kitty snuggie I was wrapped in while looking over the tome, but not every girl can own a shredded tulle Versace dress like Carrie Bradshaw. Thank you for the incredible gift, friend. ~m~

The green dress from Atonement
Cecil Beaton's Ascot Dress
from My Fair Lady
Donatella Versace's dress
for the Sex and the City series finale
a.k.a. "The One I Would Maim and Possibly Kill For"


No comments:

Post a Comment