Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fun?

Envy.  That is probably the best word that I can come up with when I watch the show House Hunters International on one of my fav channels, HGTV. We all know the show: people's lives are so stressful that they need to find an escape. Not just any escape... an escape abroad. If only.

Now, there is the rare show where a family is being relocated from the good ole' USofA to Bahrain or Bangkok, but on most of the shows that I have seen, people more or less throw a dart and choose a new country in which they are going to start fresh or get back to their roots. The budgets are, for the most part, ridiculous. These people will not have to worry about the airfare to get them, and their young children, to France, Latvia or Costa Rica. I also think it is a riot when these people don't speak a lick of the language spoken in the country...how do they survive once the cameras are off and their lives in their new home country begin?

My favorite part of the whole show is the family that is willing to move into a fixer-upper "so that we can make it our own".  Last week I watched the family that was moving from D.C. to Morocco who appeared to be utterly disgusted when being showed the 1200 year old riad that they were contemplating "fixing up".  I have included the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSHwjpH2hVc ) because this is the first episode where I was so appalled at the buyers' attitudes that I almost, almost, changed the channel.  

The one that I am watching at the moment is the 40 something single woman who is experiencing "desconectar" and longs for her Spain, the place where she needs to escape her 15 hour a day LA work life. REALLY??  Wow, what I would do to pack up my kids, husband, house and just plop ourselves into some 800 year old farm house in the French countryside. For now, I have to settle for watching the HHI episodes and reading amazing books written by these people who have the means to relocate to amazing places and hope that green is a color that suits me. ~c~

Here is the French country house that is currently for sale. Looks like a bit of a project, but nothing we can't handle...right?



No comments:

Post a Comment