Monday, February 6, 2012

Fabulous Finds

There are some days when I want to escape into an entirely different world, and usually Jane Austen is my preferred author for this escapism. Just reading certain words out loud brings a Romantic sensibility that's simply missing from my day to day life. Even words like blackguard and rogue sound so much lovelier than my modern day equivalent of douchebag and jackass. So imagine my unabashed joy at finding the Etsy store Brookish where you can find some of Austen's most beautiful lines on t-shirts and scarves.

Pride and Prejudice may be my favorite book, and I'll argue about the merits of Colin Firth's Darcy over Matthew Macfadyen's Darcy any day. However, in all of her novels, Austen excelled at creating extremely flawed men that you can't help but fall in love with. Take, for instance, the novel Persuasion. Captain Wentworth is a rather serious and sullen man who cannot quite forgive and forget Anne Elliot, the woman who succumbed to family pressure to refuse his marriage proposal. When he comes back into her life seven years later to find her still unmarried, the pain from her rejection causes him to engage in some frivolous flirting to hurt her, but it's clear (to the reader, at least) to whom his heart truly belongs.

This jersey scarf comes printed with Wentworth's confession of love to Anne:
You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. The scarf is a lovely lightweight jersey which makes it wearable in a city where it's nearly 70 degrees in February. More than anything, I love that I can bring a little bit of romance into my world of bad dates, traffic, and grading.




( I'm also tempted to buy the scarf that has Darcy's proposal on it for the sole reason that I can actually picture Colin Firth saying these words. Sigh.)






~m~

1 comment: