Saturday, June 2, 2012

Food

I am Liz Lemon. Ok, not in the way that she lives in New York City, has Jack Donaghey as a mentor, or has a handsome geeky boyfriend with killer cheekbones (hello, James Marsden??). But the girl is an incessant eye roller, loves Star Wars in a very unhealthy way, and adores food. I'm sure that there are more glamorous and less socially awkward characters on tv to feel a connection to, but to me, the woman who rocks glasses and sings a song about cheese is the one I (over)identify with.

Recently, I went to a cheese party, an idea that I'm sure would receive the Lemon seal of approval. A friend and I have been talking about this for a while, and when it came together, it was everything we wanted it to be. A small group of friends were asked to bring cheeses and the only stipulation was that it be something a bit different. We were not disappointed in the spread. Even the brave, lactose intolerant partygoers were pretty excited.

Blessed are the cheesemakers....

Among the offerings were a smoked Gouda, a delicious Bleu Cheese, several goat cheeses, including a goat brie, some queso fresco, panela, and a delicious truffle pecorino. Along with the cheeses, there were various compotes, nuts, prosciutto-wrapped breadsticks, olives, mushrooms, charcuterie, and a delicious goat-cheese cheesecake.

Non-dairy goodies

I brought two types of cheese that I love. The first type was Spanish Manchego. I served it along with the traditional membrillo, which complements the cheese so well. This is how I was first introduced to Manchego while traveling through Spain. It's absolutely delicious.



I also took a nice wedge of brie. Usually, I love to serve brie with warm apricot preserves and roasted walnuts on top. But I picked up this great compote that has fig, pear, and orange. I've always served goat cheese with fig preserves, but I really loved the way the fig tasted with the brie.


Found this goodness at Spec's

Everything was so perfect. I understand more than ever why Liz keeps eating hard cheeses after all her root canals and sings a song about working on her night cheese.


She has a great dental plan.

I have those glasses. And that poptart.


~m~







No comments:

Post a Comment