Saturday, December 3, 2011

Fashion

Style Channel used to have a show, featuring Elisabeth Hasselbeck, called The Look For Less.  Seemingly normal women on a budget would choose one of two runway looks to duplicate in one hour for $100 or less.  I loved this show, and I loved the concept (other than the 60 minute part).
It started for me last Christmas, when I caught a glimpse of the Saks 5th Avenue Christmas catalog.  I fell in love with this top:  


It was paired with rather casual khaki pants rolled up a bit to reveal cute brown laced up ankle boots.  It doesn't look like much here, but I knew at that moment that I had to find a knock off version of this outfit, especially for the holidays!  One Saturday afternoon, I walked into a local consignment shop and found a similar gold and black shirt, not sequined, but still flashy, just waiting for me to try it on.  I was pretty excited about my find.  As I continued browsing, I saw a cute pair of gold cropped pants, a bit less casual than the khakis pictured, but perfect for my upcoming Christmas party.  Fortunately both were in my size.  I opted for a gold pair of slingbacks instead of the boots, again for a less casual look.  The best part??  I put together the entire outfit for $60, 10% of the Saks price.  The top alone was retailed at $295.

I am trying this approach again this Christmas season with this outfit:


This time, however, I didn't have time to go out to duplicate. I pulled from what I already have in my closet.  My dress isn't identical, but it has a similar feel, minus the sleeves. I have decided to layer it with a black long sleeved t shirt (thanks to Target) and steel gray ballet flats instead of solid black.  I always love a fashion challenge, especially on a budget!! ~c~



















No comments:

Post a Comment